In all cultures, ear piercing has its importance. In western cultures also various variations of ear piercing are gaining popularity. Both men and women are obsessed with these types of piercings. One of the popular, ear piercing is Double Helix Piercing and is preferred by many people. In tribal cultures like the African Maasai tribe, both men, as well as women, do it as a tradition.
In recent times, a lot of modifications have been incorporated into this type of ear piercing. There are double, triple and forward helix piercings with options for double and triple forwards. So, in this post, we are going to give you all the essential details regarding Double Helix Piercing. In this ultimate guide, you will find all the solutions to your queries related to this piercing.
What is a Double Helix Piercing?
A double helix piercing involves getting double perforations aligned vertically on the upper part of ear cartilage, facing forward. This part of the ear can be detectable as the part above your tragus. Shoving sharp things and those also two times in the same area will hurt. Besides, it is highly prone to infections later on. Moreover, once the healing process is done, you can change the jewelry.
Pros And Cons Of Double Helix Piercing
If you are planning to go for this Double Helix Piercing, then you must know some of its pros and cons before making any decision. These are given below:
- Double helix piercing has remained popular for their versatility.
- It look admirable.
- It is fashionable and makes you stand out of the crowd.
- There is no need to pierce both sides at the same time if you are afraid of pain.
- There are many options for the jewelry that you can wear with this type of piercing.
- As compared to an earlobe piercing, this piercing is said to take a longer time to heal completely.
- It can be very painful for those who have low pain tolerance.
- If done with a gun, then it is sure that the piercing area will get infected because a gun is not sterilized like a piercing needle.
- Sometimes, bleeding, yellow discharge or swelling can also be there.
The procedure of this piercing is not much different than with other ear piercings. Make sure that you get to the piercing studio of choice on time so that you can get used to their environment and feel at ease when your appointment comes.
On the day of piercing, pierce master will get ready by cleaning the area of your ear where your piercings will be performed. He will mark the two spots using a pen; if you will agree on those spots then you will ask him to go further.
In many cases, a needle is the best way to go with for a complex piercing like the double helix piercing. Then by using a needle he will do the holes and insert the initial jewelry of your choice. After this, he will give you all of your aftercare supplies as well as cleaning instructions.
How Much Does Double Helix Piercing Cost?
The price of Double Helix Piercing is mainly depended on the area where the piercing studio is located, experience of piercer, the reputation of the piercing studio and other factors. If piercer master is highly the experienced and studio is popular then the prices will be higher. The cost of this piercing also depends on the type of jewelry you choose.
- Generally, in the United States, it is about $40 to $60.
- In the United Kingdom, it can cost about £20 to £40.
- In Europe, this piercing would costs around €25 to €35.
How Much Does Double Helix Piercing Hurt?
When it comes to a new piercing, pain is the main thing about which people are more worried. Even if you did ear and nose piercing before, but it’s normal to be nervous about the pain of a double helix piercing. The level of pain also varies from person to person as it depends on their pain tolerance pain.
On the pain scale, it’s about 5 out of 10. The initial pain will be sharper when the piercing is done. Though, after the piercings have been performed, that quick pain will be gone and you will feel a throbbing pain instead.
The pain might persist in one form or another for a few weeks, which is normal. An experienced piercer can make sure that your pain is reduced and that your placement is done as well as possible to promote quick healing. Lastly, the way of piercing will make the procedure more or less painful.
Double Helix Piercing Healing And After Care
It takes about 3 months to completely heal if you will properly follow your piercing’s aftercare instructions. On the other hand, just like the level of pain, the healing time is dependent on various factors. To fully heal, it can also take as long as 6 months for double helix piercings. Here we are giving you some aftercare rules that you must follow to heal the piercing fast:
- Before touching the piercing area, always wash your hands by using hand wash and use sanitizer. Touching the piercing with the unwashed hands can infect it which could cause irritation or other problems.
- Regularly rinse the piercing area by using a solution of unionized salt mixed with warm water and twice a day compressed on the healing spot.
- Infuse a lot of vitamin C providers, such as zinc supplements and citrus fruits in your diet.
- For proper cleaning and care, you must use a cotton swab dipped in warm water.
- Always use a soft towel, to dry the piercing gently.
- While your piercing is still healing, you must stay away from submerging your head in a public pool, or swimming in lakes or rivers, as this can cause infection in your piercing.
- Use hairspray carefully, because it can irritate the skin. You can cover up your ear as much as possible while using the hairspray.
- Use the best quality aftercare sprays if you don’t want to use a homemade saline solution.
- Between cleanings, you must leave the area alone whenever possible.
Tips To Keep In Mind While Healing
The healing time of double helix piercing is mainly dependent on the aftercare rules that you follow. Some important tips which you should keep in mind while healing is as follows:
- You should adjust your sleeping position to help you avoid irritating your piercing. Try sleeping on your other side to avoid rubbing your piercing on your pillow all night.
- Strictly avoid touching or multiple fiddling with your piercings.
- Use mobile away from your ear, as after piercing the area will be sensitive and holding that phone up to your double helix piercing can hurt a bit.
- Be careful, while taking out your shirts or t-shirts especially if they have tight neck holes. They can get caught on your piercing and cause irritation and instant pain.
- After getting the piercing, you must not change your jewelry for at least 8 weeks.
Double Helix Piercing Risks
There are no exact risks associated with this Double Helix Piercing. The major risk is the one that comes with untreated infections. But some ‘not so serious’ risks involved in double helix piercing are given below:
- Redness: Piercing is a trauma for the skin, so this piercing can cause some redness. Redness is also a sign of infection, so you must contact your pierce master about this symptom.
- Pus Production: In the first few days, you can also see some discharge from your wound. If the pus production has ramped up then make an appointment with your doctor so he can treat it.
- Fever: Sometimes, people end up with the fever after this piercing. So, you can visit the doctor and take some medicines.
- Swelling: Normal swelling is expected in the first few days of this type of piercing. If things continue to escalate through and swelling is accompanied by hot feeling skin then you can make an appointment with your doctor.
Double Helix Piercing Images
Double helix piercing continues being among the stylish kinds of piercings out there. While your starter jewelry is a bit limited at times, there are a lot of long-term jewelry options for looking your best with helix piercing jewelry after healing. Some of the admired starter jewelry includes Titanium studs, Captive bead rings, Curved barbells, surgical steel studs, and Labret Studs.
So, no matter what jewelry you prefer, make sure that you use hypoallergenic materials. Besides, this piercing gives you a cute look which makes them favorite among many people. If you are a person who enjoys body modification and piercings then you must go for this piercing.
Hopefully, this ultimate guide regarding Double helix piercing has equipped you with everything you need to know to make the right decision before going for this piercing. If you have some suggestions or doubts then you can ask us through your comments. Thank you!