Facial piercings are a remarkable form of body art. For both men and women, in recent years, the medusa piercing has seen a huge increase in popularity. Like all piercing variations, this piercing also has many jewelry options available which give you a cute look. So, a well-executed piercing can look outstanding, particularly when matched up with some inventive and bold jewelry.
If you are planning to go for medusa piercing then it’s a great idea to stand out of the crowd. However, this piercing needs to be well respected during its healing period. You must make sure you know as much as possible about this piecing before diving. Therefore, in this post, we are giving all the significant details and tips regarding medusa piercing.
What is a Medusa Piercing?
The medusa piercing is a gradually more popular piercing which is placed centrally under the septum of the nose and above the upper lip. It frequently goes with septum or nose ring piercing and also named as Cupid’s bow piercing.
Since the vertical groove between the bottom of the nose and the top of the upper lip is anatomically known as the philtrum, that’s why it is also known as philtrum piercing. There are mainly two variations of this piercing, Double medusa piercing, and Jestrum piercing.
However, this piercing shouldn’t be flawed for the Monroe piercing, which is located over the left side of the upper lip, instead of the center. For this type of piercing, a labret stud is generally used as the jewelry type of choice. The stud is usually made up of three separate sections, the bead, the barbell, and the disk.
Pros And Cons Of Medusa Piercing
Before, going for Medusa Piercing you must aware of its pros and cons. So, below we are giving you some pros and cons of this piercing.
- This piercing is a universal piercing type and is very popular.
- It looks stylish and catchy on girls as well as guys.
- Medusa perfectly highlights the beautiful lip contour.
- It catches the attention of everyone and makes you the center of attraction.
- Medusa requires a lot of care and attention during the healing process.
- It is located on the above of the upper lip, so it is exposed to various types of infections that can easily enter from the open wound.
- If by chance the piercing has unsuccessful execution then it would affect your facial symmetry.
- It can cause swelling in lips and create problems while eating for some days.
While choosing the piercer you must ensure that he is both professional and experienced with not only piercings in general but with medusa piercing especially. When you will go to the piercing studio, then pierce master will generally begin off by putting on a clean pair of latex gloves and cleaning the outer area of skin by using an antibacterial substance. Some piercer also gives an antiseptic oral solution to rinse the inside of your mouth out with ahead of beginning with the piercing.
Then, he will use a pen for marking the correct entry point in which the needle will go through and where the jewelry will ultimately sit. While holding the upper lip with a clamp, he will proceed to use a sharp needle for penetrating the philtrum from the inside-out, being very cautious as to make sure the needle goes right through the marked spot on the external layer of skin. Once the needle has fully penetrated the skin, a particular instrument will be used to help pass the jewelry through the new puncture so the piercer can then set it in place. Moreover, this initial barbell will usually stay inserted until healing complete.
How Much Does Medusa Piercing Cost?
As with any other form of piercing or body modification, Medusa Piercing prices can vary usually. Depending on a range of factors such as studio location and piercer experience, the average price of this piercing normally tends to be set at between $40 to $80. However, you should not be afraid to spend a little more so that you can be confident that you’re happy with your piercing.
- Besides, in the United States, this piercing costs about $40 – $85.
- In Europe, the cost is between €25 to €70.
- In the United Kingdom, you can get this piercing at £20 – £65.
How Much Does Medusa Piercing Hurt?
As compared to some elaborated ear piercings, Medusa piercing is considered to be a not painful piercing. On the pain scale, the pain for this piercing can be measured as 4 out of 10. As the lips and the area around them have more nerve endings, so you can expect a bit of pain during the piercing procedure, but it will be quick. Since there is only one puncture in this piercing, that’s why your piercer will complete it in one fluid motion.
The pinch will last only a minute, followed by some throbbing related with any piercing.In many cases, people experience some continuing pain and swelling. Don’t get worried, as this is very normal. Apart from this, the pain level can vary depending on your health conditions and individual pain resistance. So, don’t be worried if the area bleeds shortly after the process, this is completely normal and the bleeding will stop a day afterward.
Medusa Piercing Healing And After Care
Since the first week of healing is always the most important; so you should ensure that you take extra good care during this period. The complete medusa piercing healing time can take up to 10 to 12 weeks. Various things can influence the speed of the healing process such as your immune system, general health conditions, type of worn jewelry and many more. Thus, some aftercare rules that you must follow are as follows:
- You should not touch your jewelry more than you have to because twisting the jewelry can irritate the contiguous skin.
- Keep things such as your cell phone, hat or sunglasses always clean that might contact the piercing place.
- Brush your teeth regularly but take care when brushing around your piercing.
- Try to keep the piercing out of the water as much as possible and use a paper towel to dry the piercing to avoid snagging.
- You can also use pre-made cleaning solutions and before using them and wash your piercing with warm water. Then in the cleaning solution, soak a cotton ball and gently rinse the piercing for 5 to 10 minutes.
- Eat food slowly, and try to eat soft food such as ice-cream or yogurt.
- Put an ice cube in your mouth for some time because it will help in reducing the swelling.
Tips To Keep In Mind While Healing
It is very important to note that while the outside of the piercing may heal fast, it will take longer for the piercing to heal from inside. So you should keep some tips (given below) in mind while healing.
- Don’t use lipsticks, petroleum jelly or lotions near the piercing area.
- Stay away from alcohol and smoking because alcohol and cigarettes can lower the functionality of your immune system.
- You should avoid traumatising the piercing place by oral contacts as this can result in a delay in the healing process.
- As there are bacterias in lakes and rivers, so you must avoid swimming in such places.
- If there is any crust around the piercing, then to dab it use a cotton swab soaked in warm water.
- Until both sides of the wound have closed up you should not engage in french kissing.
Medusa Piercing Risks
You should know all piercings have some risks, and this includes medusa piercing also. Some common risks are as follows:
- During the initial healing stages, infections are most likely to happen in the form of swelling, soreness, itchiness and sometimes yellow pus production also.
- When inside the mouth, the jewelry disk comes into frequent contact with the upper front teeth then tooth erosion can happen.
- Gum recession can also happen due to the repeated contact of the jewelry with gum.
- Poor healing around the wound area can lead to everlasting skin damage in the form of scarring.
Medusa Piercing Images
All variations of medusa piercing can look extremely impressive if done correctly as well as matched with jewelry that suits your style. The initial jewelry for this piercing is usually a 14-gauge cute stud, made of gold, surgical steel or titanium. Such materials would decrease the risks of jewelry rejection.
As mentioned above in the post, there are various risks involved in this piercing, so you should follow properly all the aftercare rules. Also, you should choose a piercer who is experienced in this type of piercing. Apart from this, we hope that with the help of this ultimate guide regarding medusa piercing you will make your decision easily about getting this piercing.