There are various types of lip and facial piercings which are highly preferred by the people. If you don’t want a common piercing that everyone else has, then you can go for Snake Bites Piercing. This type of piercing could be just what you’ve been looking for.
As a piercing style, this piercing has continued to command a large amount of followership among body piercing faithful. Adjectives that are often used for this piercing are sexy, stylish, trendy and many more. Thus, in this post, we are giving all the essential details regarding Snake Bites Piercing.
What is a Snake Bites Piercing?
A snake bites piercing is two piercings on the bottom lip. The appearance of this piercing lends to its namesake; the two piercings on either side of the lower lip are placed to imitate the look of snake fangs. Various types of snake bites piercings are one-sided, double and tongue snakebite piercing.
Due to its unique fang-like appearance, this piercing has become perhaps the most misattributed piercing. It offers an appealing aesthetic, but it differs greatly from other piercings it gets mistaken for, so it’s very vital that you know accurately what you want before taking a seat in the chair of the piercer.
Pros And Cons Of Snake Bites Piercing
Some of the pros and cons of Snake Bites Piercing are as follows:
- It makes you look incredibly hot.
- It can work well for both girls and boys.
- Very popular in the fashion world.
- Highlight the facial symmetry as well as the natural beauty of your lips.
- It cannot be hidden like frenulum piercing. So, it doesn’t go well with the official look.
- It has two punctures, so it can be painful and take a long time to heal as compared to other piercing.
- Swelling, teeth and gum problems can be there.
Like with any other piercings, the main thing is the cleanliness and sterility of the piercing area. Before starting the procedure, you and your piercer will pick out the jewelry you will want to start with as you can’t just choose any jewelry you want. You need to make certain the studs you select aren’t too long or very tight.
They have to be just accurate to help keep away from any complications. After you both decide to go ahead with the procedure, your piercer will disinfect your skin on the piercing site. This will reduce the risk of developing an infection just from the process itself. Then, the piercer will mark entry and exit points.
Once you will approve the piercing placement, the piercer will put in a sterile hollow needle into your lip. After that, he will similarly do the other side. Many piercers also recommended that you can go for second piercing after some days. Finally, when the piercings are done, the jewelry will be put in.
How Much Does Snake Bites Piercing Cost?
As you’re getting pierced twice, so Snake Bites Piercing is pricier than other lip piercings. If you’re thinking about saving some money by going to a piercer who doesn’t have much prior experience in this piercing, then you should remember that you can’t skimp on quality while getting this piercing. Always find a piercer that you expect to do the job right. This is more complex than some other piercings you can get since your teeth and gums are involved in it. Moreover, the normal cost of this piercing in different places is given below:
- United Kingdom: the cost will be £35 to £80.
- United States: you will pay approximately $50 to $80.
- Europe: this piercing will cost around €30 to €8.
How Much Does Snake Bites Piercing Hurt?
On a pain scale, Snake Bites Piercing would usually reach 5 points out of 10. It consists of two perforations, so more pain is inherently linked with this piercing as you will have to undergo the needle two times. Though, the skin below the lip is normally less sensitive as compared to the skin on lips themselves. But, then also people who have low pain tolerance will feel the pain in this piercing.
Various people who go through this piercing claim that during the first days after they were pierced there was more discomfort. In comparison to other commonly pierced areas, in this piercing, the lips tend to swell which leads to some pain also. For everyone the pain level is different. It mainly depends on your pain perception, health and your mood during the procedure of piercing.
Snake Bites Piercing Healing And After Care
Like most lip piercings, this piercing is also done both external and oral, so you should properly take care of it. The healing time for snake bites this piercing is from 6 to 8 weeks. As Snake Bites Piercing has two perforations, if one piercing becomes infected, the infection can spread to the other piercing, particularly if you can’t refrain from touching the new jewelry. Thus, here we are giving you some aftercare rules which you must follow for fast healing of the piercing.
- Maintaining a healthy lifestyle is very important. You can take vitamin supplements and sleep well. This will help in improving your immune system and will reduce the healing time.
- After piercing, for the first couple of weeks, you must clean the piercing with a homemade sea salt mixture at least twice a day. To make this mixture, add one-fourth of a teaspoon of sea salt in 8 ounces of lukewarm water and use it.
- You should eat soft food for the first couple of days such as yogurt, ice-cream and soup. While eating solid food just make certain to take small bites so you can keep the food away from the piercing area.
- For some weeks, stay away from spicy food because that burning sensation in your lip will have you regretting every bite.
- Use soft bristle toothbrush and use mint toothpaste.
- For reducing swelling put a small ice cube in the mouth.
- You can also take one pill of Ibuprofen to fight the pain that may persist during the initial healing time.
- Use aftercare spray to clean the piercing area.
Tips To Keep In Mind While Healing
You have to take care of two healing punctures; so the snake bite piercing is more prone to complications that can delay healing. So, given below are some tips that you should keep in mind while healing.
- During the healing period stay away from alcohol and smoking because it can cause complications and irritate the openings.
- To stay away from infections, do not swim in lakes, rivers, and public swimming pools.
- Avoid using makeup products such as lipstick, lotions and others because these can slow down the healing process and even increase your risk of infection.
- Before initial healing is completed, do not change and remove the jewelry because it can let the infections in the wound.
- Change the bed sheets and pillow covers regularly and avoid oral contacts.
- Do not touch the piercing with dirty hands, before touching it wash your hands by using hand wash.
Snake Bites Piercing Risks
Sometimes, in spite of your best efforts, things go wrong with this type of piercing. If you are the one who is planning to go for Snake Bites Piercing then be aware of its possible risks. Below we are giving you some risks involved in Snake Bites Piercing.
- The most common risk is infection. If you will not follow the aftercare properly, then there are chances that piercing gets infected.
- Another risk is teeth damage as the wrong size of the jewelry can scrap your lower teeth. Thus, it is vital to let the piercer or doctor know in case you experience any difficulties.
- You can also get gum recession from the jewelry rubbing regularly against your gums.
- After you have a piercing done, there will be some redness. If redness remains for a longer period then there are signs that the piercing is infected.
- Sometimes, it can bleed more and yellow pus production is also there. In this case, you must contact your piercer to avoid further complications.
- If there is swelling or infection, then you will feel difficulty in eating and chewing food.
Snake Bite Piercing Images
Before getting a snake bites piercing you must talk to your piercer about any concerns you have. Most of the piercers are happy to discuss the safety measures they follow to give their patrons more peace of mind. You must also talk to him about any other complications you’ve had from piercings in the past such as infections.
Moreover, for this piercing, you can choose from a wide variety of jewelry styles. The labret stud style perfectly emulates the look of a real snake bite. To limit rubbing against the teeth and gum, you should select a labret stud with a flat disc back. Therefore, if you want to look different and trendy then you must go for snake bite piercing.