Many people all across the world are crazy about body piercing. There are various famous piercings that people opt for. Most of the piercings are visible. But there are some piercings which are not easily visible. One such type of piercing is Frenulum Piercing. If you have enough tissue available under your tongue then you can easily go for this piercing.
As compared to other piercings, this heals fast and gives you various jewelry options to wear. Famous jewelry for this piercing is a captive bead ring, which is a type of a curve ball.
Many times, initially piercer inserts the small bar, which is fine for the first time. Apart from this, in this post, we are giving you ideas, healing time, pain, aftercare rules to be followed and a lot more regarding Frenulum Piercing.
What is a Frenulum Piercing?
Frenulum Piercing is generally known as Tongue web piercing, underneath tongue piercing and Marley piercing. A frenulum is a thin strip of connective tissue and it attaches two body parts, the tongue and the floor of the mouth. This is part of our oral anatomy which let us speak. So, Frenulum Piercing is a perforation of the frenulum.
Many people don’t even notice it’s there, but the term ‘tongue-tied’ comes from a state in which the frenulum is so far forward or so short that it contracts the natural movement of the tongue. The best part of this piercing is that it is hidden unless you’re deliberately showing it off. This piercing is the ideal solution for piercing fanatics that are not allowed to have them noticeable for any reason.
Pros And Cons Of Frenulum Piercing
If you are planning about getting your tongue frenulum pierced, then you should know some of its pros and cons. These are as follows:
- As compared to other lip or facial piercing, this piercing is less painful and heals fast. If you will proper care of it, then it will not hurt you.
- Frenulum does not have many blood vessels, so it will bleed less when this piercing will be performed.
- It’s up to you that you want to make this piercing visible or not. Otherwise, you can hide it.
- There are various jewelry options perfect for this type of piercing.
- This piercing has many risks. The jewelry might rub against the bottom of the tongue and lower gum, which can cause scratching and irritation. Though, the chances of this risk depend on the mouth design of the individual.
- Frenulum Piercing does not work for everyone, as it requires enough tissue to get the jewelry fixed properly. Therefore, if your frenulum is very thin, then you should probably consider another tongue piercing.
- In various cases, underneath your tongue swells and then it is hard to eat for the next few days.
- Since this piercing tends to be rejected than usual tongue piercings by your body, many people who get this piercing end up only keeping it for some years.
For avoiding any unwanted complications you must get this piercing done in a professional piercing studio. Before starting the procedure, the piercer will approve that your frenulum is strong enough or not for holding the jewelry. After he approves it, the procedure starts.
The first step is to rinse your mouth with non-bacterial mouthwash. Then, the tissue will be clamped and perforated by using a hollow needle. After that, the initial jewelry is inserted of your choice. Finally, the process is finished and the pierce master likely to give you a list of aftercare rules which are to be followed to heal it fast.
How Much Does Frenulum Piercing Cost?
Generally, in various parts of the world this piercing cost around $30 – $90. Some piercing studios charge separately for the jewelry. It is recommended that you should opt for an experienced piercer, no matter how much he charged because with this piercing there is a massive risk of getting an infection.
- On the other hand, in the United States, you have to pay $30 to $90 for this piercing.
- In Europe, the cost would be from €25 – €70
- In the United Kingdom, you can get a Frenulum Piercing for £20 – £60.
How Much Does Frenulum Piercing Hurt?
Many people think that as the frenulum is so thin, the piercing would hurt less than other types of piercing. But it is not like that, on the pain scale it is measured as 5 out of 10.
You will feel a sharp pain when piercing your frenulum, but it will be swift. It is worth bearing; mind that everybody experiences pain differently, so this ‘pain rating’ is merely anecdotal. The right size of jewelry is very significant to lower the risk of rejection, lessen the pain and to heal properly.
Once you’re healed some studios might let you replace for another piece of jewelry. Moreover, after Frenulum Piercing some swelling, throbbing and bleeding is to be expected but in case you feel abnormal levels of pain then it is vital to seek out medical attention right away.
Frenulum Piercing Healing And After Care
The healing time for this Frenulum Piercing is about 8 to 10 weeks. Here we are giving you some aftercare rules which you must follow after piercing.
- You must rinse your mouth with saline solution or a sea salt rinse at least 2 to 3 times a day.
- If you don’t want to snag or irritate your piercing then be careful while eating.
- Before touching the jewelry for any reason always wash your hands.
- Buy an alcohol-free mouthwash like Listerine and rinse the mouth with it.
- Before you go to bed rinse your mouth out after meal for at least 30 seconds.
- Eat mild food and soft foods only such as ice cream, soups, smoothies, and others until the piercing is healed properly.
- You can also select high-quality piercing aftercare spray.
- Take it easy on talking at least for the first two days.
- You should use a mild toothpaste flavor.
Tips To Keep In Mind While Healing
It is very important to be careful while the healing process. If you will care of piercing properly then it will heal fast. So, below we are giving you tips to keep in mind while healing.
- Don’t eat spicy food or drink alcohol.
- Avoid over-cleaning the piercing area because there are chances that it may get hurt.
- Don’t try to play with the jewelry because it can damage the wound and increase the time of healing.
- Reduce oral contacts such as kissing and smooching for sometimes, otherwise, it can harm the piercing and cause infections.
- Do not share your drinks or food with others.
- Don’t try to remove the initial jewelry yourself as it can hurt the frenulum.
- For the first few days of healing do not talk too much.
- Avoid chewing any gums and smoking.
Frenulum Piercing Risks
Frenulum Piercing is done in an extremely sensitive area. If pierced improperly and incorrectly, you might end up with various dangerous and uncomfortable side effects. Some common risks associated with this piercing are as follows:
- The jewelry at Frenulum can react by building up more skin tissue to push the piercing out of it.
- If your piercing is imperfectly placed then it can rub against your gums or scratch your teeth. It can also damage your salivary gland.
- Your mouth is a natural breeding ground for bacteria. Bacteria can also be introduced by smoking, kissing and various other oral activities. If bacteria become trapped in the piercing site then there are chances of infection.
- From initial placement, the tongue jewelry can move aside near to the surface of the tissue. Sometimes, it can even be self-removed from the hole. So, preventing this risk, you should always take care of the piercing.
- There is also a risk of yellow discharge from the piercing spot and it can excessively sore.
Frenulum Piercing Images
So, as we mentioned above in the post, one can get a Frenulum piercing as long as he or she has enough tissue available. Many people experience that the jewelry rub against the bottom of the tongue and causes irritation, especially during the first couple of weeks.
Some of the common infections related to this piercing are skin is hot and painful to touch, red streaks presence, swelling, and others. If needed, you should visit the doctor or your piercer to get the proper treatment.
On the other hand, it is recommended that you should go for a curved barbell or CBR jewelry usually of 16 gauges to make this piercing successful. Many professional studios include this jewelry alteration in the first price of the piercing because wearing the right jewelry size is very important for a successful and healthy piercing.
So, we hope that you will surely follow all the tips for the Frenulum piercing given above in the guide. Let us know about your feedback by commenting us in the comment box given below.