In recent years, various types of lip and face piercings have become popular. Women all around the world are crazy for piercings and want to have a cool and modern look. Amongst them, Monroe Piercing is very famous and is named after the super-famous and beautiful actress and model Marilyn Monroe.
All thanks to Monroe, because of her only this has become one of the most preferred facial piercings of all-time across swathes of the globe. For stimulating the look of beauty spot or mole, it is one of the most trendy and glamorous facial piercings. Hence, in this guide, we will discuss all important things regarding Monroe Piercing.
What is a Monroe Piercing?
This piercing is also usually known as Madonna piercing and Crawford piercing. Monroe Piercing is a perforation above the upper lip at the side. Many people prefer to match the exact location where the renowned beauty spot appeared on the face of Marilyn Monroe. It is mainly located on the left side replicating her beauty. Whereas the Monroe is generally regarded as a lip piercing, the lip is not pierced at all. Apart from this, for completing the look of this piercing you can select a simple gemstone studded labret for a cute look.
Pros And Cons Of Monroe Piercing
Before you go for this piercing, you must know its pros and cons. So, we are giving you below the pros and cons of Monroe Piercing.
- This piercing can be well supplemented by other piercings and forms remarkable combinations. For instance, on both sides above the upper lip, a double puncture makes rocky angel bites piercing.
- It is considered as one of the popular as well as cute facial piercing.
- It looks sexy and the prettiness mark made by a shiny stud is ultimately appealing and compelling.
- If you would take off the piecing one day, then it leaves a scar, which looks very odd. The size of the scar depends on the worn jewelry. If you will select small tiny studs then it is possible to avoid scarring in the future.
- You should know very well that beauty mark piercing is not appropriate for every setting. In some places like work or school, you may need to hide it anyhow. So, in this case, you can wear special unseen studs, easy to purchase online.
- If this piercing is not done properly then it can create many problems like blood poisoning, the problem in lip movement and many more.
- Monroe Piercing is not for those people who are fairly sensitive to special kinds of metals. If they will go for it, then it can have the reactions as well as infections to the jewelry on skin.
It seems very easy to perform this piercing, but you must pay a lot of attention to the process. For preventing the spreading of infection the piercing instruments and the upper lip must be disinfected properly. You should visit the highly experienced piercer who has prior good experience in the piercing. If you will go for an inexperienced pierce master then you can suffer a lot.
Pierce master will mark the entry and exit spots using a surgical pen for establishing the accurate location of the beauty mark. He should fix the upper lip properly using a clamp. Then, with a sharp hollow needle, the skin tissue is quickly perforated. After the needle has entered into the skin and exited out of the internal mouth area, it is then removed ahead of a barbell is pushed into location and fastened into place.
Once the process is complete, the piercer will probably give you an aftercare facts sheet that will contain information on how to properly look after the piercing during the early healing stages.
How Much Does Monroe Piercing Cost?
Mainly, the cost of piercing varies from piercer to piercer. It is recommended that you should visit costly piercer because they are much experienced and can carry out this piercing safely. As, there are so many nerve endings where the perforation is done, so inexperienced piercer may place it poorly and can wreak havoc on your gums.
The cost of this piercing also based on various factors such as where the piercing shop is based, how experienced the piercer and what is the initial piece of jewelry.
Usually, the Monroe piercing costs around $60 – $80. One should, select piercer based on their abilities rather than finding the cheapest option.
- Monroe piercing is between $60 to $80 in the United States.
- In Europe, this piercing costs about €20 to €50.
- In the United Kingdom, you would pay £15 to £50.
How Much Does Monroe Piercing Hurt?
As the Monroe piercing surely the most painful piercing you might have done and during the process, it will probably still sting slightly. This is so because the interior area of the lip contains lots of sensitive nerve endings. These nerve endings are hit by the needle and make its primary pass through the skin.
On the pain scale, this piercing is considered to make 4 out of 10 points. Normally, those have thicker lips or more musculature around the area will tend to feel slightly more pain. Also, the toughened outer skin can make it a little bit harder for the needle to pass through, thus this can make the piercing process slightly painful.
After the procedure, the piercing may also hurt for a couple of days. So, it very important to understand the process is over very quickly, for one or two seconds you may feel quite an intense sting. This pain should die down almost right away after the needle has finished perforating the skin.
Apart from this, along with the little amount of pain over the coming days, you will also likely experience swelling and maybe bruising around the area of the piercing. So, this is nothing to worry about and is just your method of healing.
Monroe Piercing Healing And After Care
You must be well aware that you will possibly experience a small amount of pain after a few days of piercing as a natural healing response to the damage caused to the area. The days or week weeks after this piercing procedure are very important. This time is very important because these times are when the wound and piercing are at their most delicate stage. Usually, it takes up to 6 months for the outside and inside area of the mouth to heal totally.
Some general aftercare rules are as follows:
- Only touch your piercing with clean hands especially in the first few days.
- You should not take the original stud until instructed by pierce master.
- Eat and chew food slowly.
- Remove the crust from the opening with clean fingers or use a cotton swab.
- Rinse your mouth instantly with an antibacterial liquid for maintaining oral hygiene.
- Don’t rub harsh chemicals or products such as cosmetics over the piercing.
Tips To Keep In Mind While Healing
If you will care properly then your piercing will heal in a short time. So, things you should avoid while healing is as follows:
- Until the piercing is healed, do not remove the initial stud, except you experience the jewelry rejection.
- The cleaning routine must be performed not more than two times in a day.
- Avoid touching or playing with the jewelry because it may disturb the wound and cause a stoppage in the healing process.
- Avoid eating spicy food and drinking alcohol. Additionally, don’t eat very hot food because it may burn the opening and make the piercing swollen and itchy.
Monroe Piercing Risks
You should never select a piercer who uses a piercing gun; because the blunt force it uses to puncture the skin can cause damage. You should make sure that the piercer uses a clean needle. In addition to this, some more risks that are related to this piercing are given below:
- Embedding generally occurs when a piercer inserts a barbell into your new piercing that is very short.
- Gum erosion can happen due to constant rubbing and roots of your teeth can be exposed.
- Your body is open to bacteria getting in the course of the wound, so it can cause several infections.
- A scar may happen when the opening is stretched with big jewelry.
Monroe Piercing Images
Labret and Monroe studs are available in all sizes, shapes, and colors, so you can choose as per your choice. Many people prefer a labret stud for this piercing as the sizes are very often ideal for what each patron is wanting. If you don’t wish to make an incorrect decision, then you can ask your piercer which jewelry should be used for Monroe Piercing.
Moreover, if someone has issues with oral hygiene or low pain tolerance then you should not go for this piercing. By making sure you take care of your piercing as best as possible then it can turn out as amazing as you always expected it to be. Thus, we hope that this ultimate guide about Monroe Piercing will surely help you in making your decision.